Fees for Service of Process
Fees for service are generally governed by 17.1-272 of the Virginia State code, which are:
A. The fees for process and service in the following instances shall be twelve dollars:
- For service on any person, firm or corporation, a order, notice, summons or any other civil process, except as herein otherwise provided, and for serving on any person, firm, or corporation any process when the body is not taken and making a return thereof, except that no fees shall be charged for service pursuant to 9-6.14:13 of the Virginia State code. (Administrative agencies. Subpoenas, depositions and requests for admissions. The agency or its designated subordinates shall have power to, and on request for any party to a case shall, issue subpoenas requiring testimony or the production of books, papers, and physical or other evidence.)
- Summoning a witness or garnishee on an attachment.
- Service on any person an attachment or other process under which the body is taken and making a return thereon.
- Service of any order of court not otherwise provided for, except that no fees shall be charged for protective orders issued pursuant to 16.1-226 of the Virginia State code.
- Making a return of a writ of fieri facias when no levy was made or forthcoming bond taken.
- Summoning a witness in any case in which custody or visitation of a minor child or children is at issue.
- Service and publication of any notice of a publicly-advertised public sale.
- Service of a writ of possession, except that there shall be an additional fee of $12.00 for each additional defendant.
- Levying upon current money, bank notes, goods or chattels of a judgment debtor pursuant to 8.01-478 of the Virginia State code.
- Service of a declaration in ejectment of any person, firm or corporation, except that there shall be an additional fee of $12.00 for each additional defendant.
- Levying distress warrant or an attachment.
- Levying an execution.
Pursuant to Va. Code §17.1-272 as amended...Sheriff and High Constable fees for processes returnable to states outside the Commonwealth of Virginia are to paid in advance, and are as follows:
- $75.00 per entity--corporation, individual
- $75.00 per address where service is to be attempted.
- $75.00 per document served
- $75.00 per case number assigned
- Two persons at one address, $150.00
- One person at two different addresses $150.00
- $5.00 Notary fee effective July 1, 2005 Virginia Code § 47.1-19
- Service will be 'IN HAND' ONLY, unless substitute service is authorized by you.