See below for current events happening on the Flag Rock Area Trails System and in Flag Rock Recreation Area.
- April 2, 2022: Group Hike. The city offers monthly group hikes. This hike will include sections of the Chief Benge Scout Trail, Forest Service roads, and Flag Rock Area Trails. Climb from Mountain Fork on the Chief Benge Trail to High Knob Recreation Area and High Knob Tower and then descend to the Norton Reservoir on Forest Service roads and the Flag Rock Area Trails system. Hike will require a shuttle. Wear sturdy shoes and weather-appropriate clothing. Bring snack/water. Registration is required. Contact Katie Dunn, firstname.lastname@example.org or (276) 679-1160, to sign up.
- May 7, 2022: Outdoor Chat: Birding. Join birders Randy Smith and Rachel Blevins for a birding walk in Flag Rock Recreation Area. Wear sturdy shoes and weather-appropriate clothing. Bring water/snack. Bring binoculars. The hike will start at the Norton Reservoir Trailhead. Registration is required. Contact Katie Dunn, email@example.com or (276) 679-1160, to sign up.
- May 21, 2022: Fit Farmer 12K Trail Run. The fifth annual trail race benefits the Norton Friends and Farmers Market's Senior Supplemental Nutrition Program, which provides monetary benefits to low-income seniors to spend at the market. See www.fitfarmertrailrun.wordpress.com for more details. Online registration is available at https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=88686.
- June 5, 2022: Woodbooger Chase Triathlon. This fifth annual triathlon challenges participants to paddle, trail run, and mountain bike on the Norton Reservoir and Flag Rock Area Trails system. This event is part of the Best Friend Festival. See http://www.facebook.com/bestfriendfestival for updates.
- June 11, 2022: Kids Fishing Day. This free children's fishing day is held at Norton's Upper Reservoir from 8:30-11 a.m. The event is part of the Best Friend Festival. Open to children ages 12 and under. Prizes will be offered to participants. Contact Rebecca Iozzi, firstname.lastname@example.org or (276) 679-0754, for more details.
- June 21-23, 2022: Outdoor Adventure Camp. Explore outdoor activities including canoeing/kayaking, paddle boarding, team building exercises, archery, and hiking. Open to boys and girls grades 6-12. Contact Rebecca Iozzi, email@example.com or (276) 679-0754, for more details.
- July 9, 2022: Group Hike. The city offers monthly group hikes. This hike will be held on the Flag Rock Area Trails system. Wear sturdy shoes and weather-appropriate clothing. Bring water/ snack. See https://tinyurl.com/flagrockmap for more information on the trail system and see Tour De Flag Rock description on map under Suggested Trail Loops for details about this group hike. Registration: Contact Katie Dunn, katied@ nortonva.org or (276) 679-1160.
- July 15, 2022: Digital Trail Guide. The city produces digital trail guides for regional trails every other month. This month's guide will feature the Legion Park Trail, a 1.1-mile trek from Legion Park to Flag Rock Recreation Area. Video will be posted to http://www.nortonva.gov/digitaltrailguides.
- August 15-20, 2022:High Knob Outdoor Fest. The fourth annual feature will feature outdoor recreation trips, activities, and presentations, including several in Flag Rock Recreation Area. Downtown Norton festivities will include vendors, demonstrations, food trucks, and live music. See http://www.highknoboutdoorfest.wix.com/highknoboutdoorfest or contact Katie Dunn, firstname.lastname@example.org or (276) 679-1160, for more details.
- TBA: A second annual Flag Rock Bioblitz is being planned for 2022. The event will challenge participants to find as many species of plants, animals, and other organisms as possible.
- October 2022: Woodboooger Fest. Festival date not yet set. This fall festival celebrates Flag Rock Recreation Area and the Woodbooger, a mythical Bigfoot-like creature rumored to roam Flag Rock. Event includes food and craft vendors, guided hikes in search of the Woodbooger, games, and more. See http://www.woodboogerfest.com for more details.
- October 15-16, 2022: Cloudsplitter 100. This sixth annual ultramarathon distance running race challenges participants to navigate a variety of trails and graveled roads on High Knob with 25-kilometer, 50-kilometer, 100-kilometer, and 100-mile distances. Part of the event's course runs through Flag Rock Recreation Area. See http://www.cloudsplitter100.com for more details.