Take A Walk: Check out a couple suggested routes below that you can walk, run, or bike.
Questions? Contact us at (276) 679-1160.
Norton Wall Route
Stroll through downtown Norton to the city's community center and elementary/middle school. This route also travels below a giant stone wall built as part of a recent pedestrian improvement project. The route offers views of High Knob and Flag Rock.
- Distance: About 1.14 miles one-way. Relatively flat.
- Map:Norton Wall Route
- Start at the Norton Municipal parking lot. Cross Park Avenue at the traffic light. Turn right. Continue for a tenth of a mile.
- Take a left onto 7th Avenue and continue on the sidewalk. Cross Virginia Avenue. Turn right. Pass in front of Norton City Hall. Continue straight, crossing 6th Street SW. Turn right.
- Continue along 6th Street SW to its intersection with Park Avenue. Turn left and continue walking along Park Avenue for six tenths of a mile. This stretch passes beneath the City of Norton wall constructed as part of the recent streetscape project.
- Take the crosswalk at the entrance to the community center and continue for another quarter mile to the sidewalk's terminus.
- Follow the same route to return to the municipal parking lot.
Kentucky Avenue Loop
This loop travels through downtown and along residential streets, offering views of Flag Rock and High Knob.
- Distance: Three Miles.
- Map: Kentucky Avenue Loop
- Start at the Norton Municipal parking lot and travel northeast about three tenths of a mile on the road behind the parking area (Market Street) to Coeburn Avenue.
- Cross Coeburn Avenue and turn right. Use the sidewalk that runs alongside Coeburn Avenue for four tenths of a mile to the Kentucky Avenue intersection.
- Turn right onto Kentucky Avenue. Remain on the right side of the road. There is a wide parking lane to walk/run in along this one-mile stretch.
- At the Kentucky Avenue/11th Street/12th Street intersection, turn right. Continue on the sidewalk for almost two tenths of a mile - you'll pass the city's high school and the Holiday Inn - to the 11th Street/Park Avenue intersection.
- Turn right. Continue on the sidewalk for three tenths of miles to reach the municipal parking lot.
- If wanting to make this a three-mile course, head back down Market Street and turn around at its intersection with Coeburn Avenue to return to the parking lot.