Passionate about keeping the environment and Norton clean? Have an artistic talent for conveying a message within your art? The City of Norton is seeking local artists and creative minds to paint four storm drains to raise awareness about the importance of protecting our rivers, stream habitat, and aquatic wildlife. The contest is sponsored by the City of Norton, United Healthcare, and The Norton Lions Club. All questions should be directed to Michele Knox, Norton Parks and Recreation Director, at (276) 679-0754 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a color sketch of your proposed artwork around a storm drain.
- Artwork may include the street, sidewalk, or both.
- Text is encouraged to convey the educational stormwater message.
- Include your name, phone, and email with your submission.
- The deadline to submit entries is Sept. 21, 2020. The four winning artists will receive $100 and their chance to leave their artistic talents on the streets of Norton.
- Entries can be mailed or hand delivered to Michele Knox, Norton Community Center, 201 Park Ave. NE/P.O. Box 618, Norton, VA 24273. Good quality photos of sketches can also be emailed to email@example.com.
- Artists must be at least 12 years old.
- Artwork may be on the street, the sidewalk, or both. You may not paint brick sidewalks.
- Only brushes may be used. No spraying of paint is permitted due to proximity to storm drain.
- Artists must take care to not allow paint or brush rinse water to go down the storm drain.
- Artists must use the traffic paint provided. Each artist will receive 1 quart of red, yellow, blue, white, and black paint that can be mixed to create an individual palette. If you run out of paint, contact Michele Knox.
- Storm drains will be cleaned before painting commences. If area should become dirty again, you can only use a broom or plain water. No soap is allowed down the storm drain.
- Traffic cones will be on site and safety vests will be provided. Please use them.
- Artwork should be completed by Oct. 16, 2020.