Work to establish a visitor center, the High Knob Destination Center, is moving forward. Project planners are seeking photographs of the High Knob Region for placement in educational exhibits. The High Knob Region is defined as parts of Lee, Scott, and Wise counties and the City of Norton. Communities in the region include the City of Norton and towns of Appalachia, Big Stone Gap, Clinchport, Coeburn, Duffield, Dungannon, Pennington Gap, St. Paul, and Wise. DESTINATION CENTER PURPOSE
The High Knob Destination Center will serve as a gateway to the High Knob Region, offering visitors and residents information and programs that celebrate and highlight the region's communities, outdoor activities, recreation sites, cultural experiences, history, and more.
PHOTO NEEDS & DETAILS
High resolution photos are being sought for exhibits highlighting the High Knob Region. Photographers that have images of the outdoor activities, communities, recreation sites, cultural experiences, and region's history should contact Katie Dunn, Norton Special Projects Coordinator, at (276) 679-1160 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. A monetary stipend will be provided for photos selected. All photo submissions are welcome, but specific photo needs currently include the following:
- Bear Rock (Scott County)
- Little Stony Creek (Scott County)
- Guest River Gorge (Coeburn)
- Big Cherry Lake (Big Stone Gap)
- Bark Camp Recreation Area: Bark Camp Lake (anglers or paddlers on lake), Bark Camp Campground, and Bark Camp Lake Loop Trail
- Clinch River (St. Paul)
- Lake Keokee (Lee County)
- Cave Springs Recreation Area (Lee County)
- Events at the following venues:
- Country Cabin II
- Lays Hardware Center for the Arts
- Carter Family Fold
- High Knob Music Festival
- Gathering in the Gap Music Festival
- Trail of the Lonesome Pine Outdoor Drama
- Devil's Bathtub and Devil's Fork Trail (Scott County)
- High Knob Recreation Area: High Knob Campground, High Knob Lake, Chief Benge Scout Trail, Lakeshore Trail
- Outdoor Activities: Hiking; Mountain Biking; Gravel Biking; Trail Running; Bouldering/Climbing; Fishing; Horseback Riding; Motorcycling (not off-road); High Knob area campgrounds.
- Panoramic views of High Knob Region. Photos should represent what the photographer views as being iconic views in the region.
- Powell Valley Overlook (Wise County)
- Natural Tunnel State Park (Scott County)
- Shots along the Thomas Jefferson State Scenic Byway Loop. See https://tinyurl.com/6rbdhmix for details.
- Photos of coal trains